Early Start Program
The CSU system recently enacted a policy known as "Early Start" requiring incoming students who do not demonstrate readiness for college-level math and/or English to begin remediation during the summer before coming to the CSU.
The goals of Early Start are to better prepare students in math and English before their first semester, thereby improving their chances of completing a college degree.
This video contains unrehearsed comments from several students from several CSU campuses who participated in Early Start in the
last couple of years. A variety of similar mandatory Early Start programs in English as well as math are offered each summer throughout
the CSU to prepare students for college.
Early Start is about student success!
Early Start Details
- Early Start is required for incoming students who have not fulfilled the Entry Level Math and/or English Placement Test proficiency requirements.
- The program takes place the summer before the freshman year.
- Upon admission, CSU campuses will inform students how and where to sign up for Early Start.
- Early Start math and English courses are available at every CSU campus, and online.
- Financial aid will be available for those who demonstrate need.
For more information about Early Start, please view our list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Early Start Course Listing
For a preview of these courses and details about other Early Start options, please visit the Early Start Course Listing website.