There are a number of online resources for teachers that provide tips and tools to help students improve their critical reading and writing skills. Listed below are several sites that are worth exploring.
- CSU 12th Grade Expository Reading and Writing Course - curriculum and teacher training materials for a high school expository reading and writing course
- Reading, Writing, Ready * - article about the successful implementation of the CSU Expository Reading and Writing Course
- CSU Focus on English * - information about the English Placement Test (EPT) including a list of frequently asked questions and sample test items
- CSU Center for the Advancement of Reading - center dedicated to excellence in literacy instruction by promoting the preparation of effective teachers and reading specialists in the CSU
- Academic Literacy (Spring 2002) * - statement of competencies expected of students entering California’s public colleges and universities
- Reading Online - peer-reviewed journal of the International Reading Association
- University of Connecticut Literacy Website - strategies for teaching reading comprehension effectively
- Free Online English Lessons - MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) offers a collection of free lesson plans and learning objects for use with your students.
*Adobe Reader is needed to view these files. Download a free version of Adobe Reader .